 Off-Topic / Fun / 8370
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:30:04 GMT

(Yea, kudos is singular, blame the Greeks.)

Indeed it is, and plural would be "kudH" (that's an Eta) but I can't use it
in a sentence.

Webster's (1968) reports that the English plural is also "kudos".

Was it the candy bar that brought in into the mainstream?

The word means "glory, fame, praise". Borrowed into English it is used to
replace King James Version idiom with something even older, rewriting
"Praise be to Joe for this fine edition of Homer" as "Kudos to Joe..."

I find "acclaim" to be an interesting translation. Why? It is guessed that
kudos derives from akkouein, to hear, and so it deserves a word with vocal
connotation, like acclaim (Latin clamere) which coincidentally has that K
sound. But acclaim as a noun is even more awkward than "praise be to" and
I'm not doing any translation in the near future so I let it rest here.