 Off-Topic / Fun / 7945
Re: Poul Anderson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 04:27:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Erik Olson writes:
This is not fun, but I think there are some fans hereabout who might care to
participate.

Seen on the net today:

Friends --

It's with a heavy heart that I write that my father, Poul Anderson is
receiving hospice care at home and is not expected to live more than a week.
I know that some of you are fans of his work, and if you would care to send
an e-mail direct to my parents house ( trigonier@earthlink.net ) expressing
what it has meant to you, he would be very appreciative. I'll be going down
there myself tomorrow (they're in the Bay Area), so will not be getting mail
here for a few days.

Astrid Bear

On sff.net:

'Friends,

Poul Anderson passed away last night, July 31-August 1, around midnight. During
the afternoon, he received hundreds of emails and messages from friends and
readers and fellow writers, which Astrid and Karen printed out and read to him.
He died knowing (and how!) that he was loved and valued, and hearing how much
his work had entertained and moved so many. Though he was weak at the end,
there was no loss of mental capacity, and my last conversation with him was
slow but sparkling with the curiosity and deep-seated gentlemanliness that Poul
always had, and which was, I think, built into his whole body and being.

He is survived by his wife and writing partner, Karen, his daughter Astrid,
brother John, grandchildren Erik and Alexandra, nieces Janet and Cathy, and by
millions of readers.'

ROSCO