 Off-Topic / Fun / 7648
Re: Hello?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:54:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jesse Alan Long writes:

P.S.  I really want to know what trolling means, people.

From the hacker's dictionary:

http://www.eps.mcgill.ca/jargon/html/entry/troll.html

Specifically, it is being suggested that some of your assertions, statements
and/or questions are of such a nature as to be troll bait. That is, most
reasonable persons would not be making the set (taken as a whole) of
assertions you made or would not be asking the sorts of questions (taken as
a whole) you asked, unless they had an ulterior motive, to wit, seeing the
regulars respond in shock, outrage, or sarcasm at how silly your questions
seem to be.

The alternative to your being a troll is that you have a somewhat, well,
naiive, and somewhat *different* outlook on matters than the rest of us do.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, in small doses. The reason so
many of us were curious as to your age was that this sort of outlook is
often seen among those very young and very new to the net.

(and yes, I realise that answering a "what is trolling" question could
itself be seen as taking troll bait... So be it.)

++Lar