 Off-Topic / Fun / 7549
7548  |  7550
Subject:
Student Essay Howlers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:47:49 GMT

   Hi, everyone.

   I mentioned in the "doh" thread that I would probably regale
   you with the "howlers"--the intentionally or unintentionally
   funny gaffes I find on student papers.  Fortunately, we do all
   of our work in essay or paper form (no multiple choice), so
   there's a lot of raw material.  I came across an old sheet
   of these in papers I sorted tonight.

   So below is a sampling of what I received.  Most have been
   shortened to their pertinent bits, and any identifying data
   on the writer have been removed.  These are from at least two
   years ago, and most of the students were first or second year,
   with very very few History majors.

   Naturally, if the reason for something being funny is obscure,
   I'll be happy to explain.  But I may just be too much a geek.
   Not all are wrong; some are unintentionally worded humorously.
   So, without further ado:

   -"Vichy France was the government of the unoccupied areas of
    France after France's loss to the Germans in WWII."
   -"The ideas of tolerance some how got lost in Revolution and
    Industrialization.  The tolerance once exasperated [sic!] by
    the Enlightenment had been forgotten."
   -"Black shirts were very violent and if you were a leader you
    probably would be assinated."  [Assinated?]
   -"General de Gaulle was a tank commander during the German
    occupation of France." (I should xpost this to .loc.fr...;) )
   -"[Stalin's] significance is that he was a great leader to
    his country and gave many peopel help, such as jobs."
   -[Regarding the French Revolution]"They needed more and the
    people were very unhappy with this and with many other things
    such as taxes and stuff, so they had to do something about it.
    So what the people did was, they stormed the Bastille and
    took the king prisoner and lopped his head off."
   -"The Industrial Revolution changed Europe because it opened
    their eyes to something other than farming.  It introduced
    means of production."
   -"[The French Revolution] was a time of unification, it also
    introduced equal rights and unity for all.  Instead of
    revolution being a bunch of crazy people trying to overthrow
    the government, it became a time of change and status quo." [!]
   -"Mr. Hyde only comes out at Night, and everyone knows that
    only the Freaks come out at Night."
   -"Of course if someone is not equal, they may be different." [Doi!]
   -"Without these two revolutions [Industrial and French], life
    probably would not exist.  If it did it would be *very* violent.
    The Industrial Revolution provided people with food and money."
   -"[A book author] becomes well educated and comes to town again
    to teach.  She shuffled around from subjet to subject in a school
    infested unitelligible [sic] hicks."
   -"Men also had to be the breadwinners.  This signifies the time
    where Europe was focusing on degeneracy and education as a way
    of advancing."
   -"Stalin was a very powerful and extremely rude leader in Russia."
   -"Stalin was the head of the Soviet Union.  He was a Communist." [dur!]
   -[Map exam label, laid on the Baltic Sea]"Sweeten" (At least it was
    geographically and orthographically close...)

   That's all I have on these sheets.  The ones from Mediaeval
   History are far funnier--some intentionally so, from very sharp-
   witted students--and if I find those I'll share them.

   best

   LFB