 Off-Topic / Fun / 7081
Re: Geology from Outer Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:08:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

You know, I never actually played Zork. My pastiche paid homage to Zork's
predecessor, ADVENT, which I *have* played on such machines as the UNIVAC
1100/80, the IBM 4341, and the Commodore PET.

Actually it was originally called "Colossal cave" (by Willie Crowther). I only
ever played it on a PDP 11/70 until I decided to learn Perl a couple of years
ago - someday I'll get around to putting my Perl port of the original (350 • pts)
game on a web-site somewhere!

OK. No time like the present. You can find it at

You need advent.pl & advent.dat, which is the original data file unchanged. A
couple of differences you should know about:

1. I implemented mixed case from the original upper case data file. If you see
any strange case problems, tough.

2. Unlike most ports, I've implemented the opening hours feature. If you're
asked for the wizard password, it's DWARF (case sensitive). You then need to
answer 'n' to the next question, and then press enter again (I didn't get
around to fully implementing the wizard stuff).

3. It's only been tested using Perl 5.002 on Solaris & Perl 5.something on
Linux. If it doesn't work for you, tough.

Note that I've successfully navigated the entire cave and got maximum points,
but haven't necessarily tested every facet.

Enjoy!

ROSCO