 Off-Topic / Fun / 6917
Re: What's in a name?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:57:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
Off the top of my head I can think
of three (it was four, but now I can't remember one) SF series in which a
lead character was named Crichton (under various spellings.)
[...]  Is this some
veiled homage to the alleged writer Michael?

I dunno if there's a link to He Who Wrote Jurassic Park, but a kryton (I
dunno about the spelling and dictionary.com hasn't offered a non-Krypton
alternative) is a device used in the fuse on a nuclear warhead...

  That's pretty cool, and it ranks as one of the most obscure facts I've
learned lately.  Are you confident of the spelling?  I'm not doubting you
(since I have no basis for comparison) but I'd like to look into it a bit
further.
  Thanks for the nifty response.

     Dave!