 Off-Topic / Fun / 6697
Re: Double BOOMS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:21:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ross Crawford writes:

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ross Crawford writes:
So for us shuttle-landing-newbies, what causes the "signature • double-boom"?
(I don't get one when my 8480 lands....)

Sonic boom.  I believe they get one shock wave off the nose, and another • off
the wings, but I really don't remember.  This is the first time I had it • go
overhead when I was outside in Pasadena and the air positively shook (and
here I am so used to it being the ground).  :-)

Thanks Bruce. I didn't realise there were two booms! Comes from living in an
outpost like Australia, where nothing ever breaks the sound barrier!

   Neh, there's just more spaces where they can break it and nobody
   will hear...:)

   Here in the UK, a mystery sonic boom made the news--they're not
   sure what it was, as military aircraft aren't supposed to do that
   over land.  Current speculation is that it may have been a
   meteorite (!) skipping through the atmosphere...

   best

   Lindsay