 Off-Topic / Fun / 6404
Re: The Grinch toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:03:58 GMT

Same with Pooh. All the Pooh toys out there are based on Disney's rendition
of Pooh, not the original Pooh drawn by E. H. Sheperd. And the Thomas the
Tank toys are based on the TV series, not the original books.

Not true.  The TTTE stuff from Hornby appeared before the TV show was finished
(in 1984/5).  So, it was based on the books, and what was available in the
Hornby mold room rather than on the TV show.

(It also predates most of the C. Audry books- which are nowhere near as good as
his dads books- my fav. is the image of Talyllyn in the books, which matches
the painting in Talyllyn railway (JIC Boyd) which matches the photo :)

I have a bunch of pre TV series TTTE stuff- and some stuff on the original 3
series of episodes that were filmed.

Marklin models were converted to represent the orginal engines, all on Gauge 1.
So, they are not all that accurate (but, then accuracy was never a prime
concern-I think at least once, a engine was missing valve gear (Gordon, IIRC)

James