 Off-Topic / Fun / 5906
Re: Anguish languish
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:52:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Thanks go to Greg Majewski, but I have a question for you - how on earth did
you get the answer out of #1:

1.      SHOCK CUSSED TOE (~a person~) Jacques Cousteau

I'm not sure if shock would have been the right word, or perhaps it is
pronounced differently in other languages but I would have thought shakes
would have been a bit better.  I'm also not sure if that s is silent or
not - but then again I'm no interpreter!  :-)

'shock' worked OK, but why'd they throw in an extra syllable with 'cussed'?
Even if you pronounce it with a single syllable, it doesn't add any value
over 'cuss'.

Steve