 Off-Topic / Fun / 5317
5316  |  5318
Subject:
Square's PlayOnline.com launched!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:35:09 GMT

Well, our first glimpse of the future of the Final Fantasy game series is now
up and running!  Go to http://www.playonline.com/ to see it!  (It has a pretty
hefty flash content, so it may slow down for some people...)  Also, all pages
scroll horizontally as opposed to the normal vertical scrolling, which may take
a little getting used to...  :)

PlayOnline will be Square's network to allow gamers to play some of their
upcoming Playstation 2 games over the internet.  It will also allow users to
chat, read manga/comics, listen to music (at least, that's what it looks like),
and read hints and walkthroughs for games.  For example, FFX will not have an
authorized strategy guide published.  The strategy guide will *only* be
available on PlayOnline.

I haven't had a chance to browse the site in detail, but I did notice some cool
stuff up there already.  There is an area for Final Fantasy IX (FFX and FFXI
areas are "comign soon"), with some desktop images, character info (along with
Amano's character designs!), and an interview/conversation between Hironobu
Sakaguchi (Producer of the FF series and Square VP) and Yoshitaka Amano (FF
character designer).

Your local source for Final Fantasy news,
Jeff

P.S.  I got Legend of Mana last night!  Woohoo!!  Also, since I preordered, I
got a CD with selected music tracks!  (I already have the OST, though...)  :)