 Off-Topic / Fun / 5312
Re: vegetarians (was Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 04:22:41 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:
Last time I was in DC (Thanksgiving for two weeks in '97) my friend and I were
in an area near a college (we went on the metro) where there were little delis,
tatoo and piercing places, used music shops, and a big (and interesting) gay
and lesbian book store.  We ate at a place that was about 1/2 vegan and most or
all vegetarian.  There was live music, but you could sit far enough away that
it wasn't intrusive (IIRC there were two floors and the music was upstairs).
And it seemed to be staffed largely by lesbians.  Do you know what that was
called?  I ate like a pig, didn't spend a whole lot, and left many appealing
dishes untried...I'd like to go back.

Ah... the venerable 'Food for Thought' on 1738 Connecticut Avenue
in Dupont Circle.  Sadly, gentrification(1) has taken hold in that
area, and most of the landlords(2) raised the rents several times what
they were.  Food for Thought couldn't afford to stay there, they tried
turning it into a fultime bar but that didn't work to well either.
For a while after they closed down they were serving a limited menu at
the Black Cat(a smoke-filled dance/music club) but I think that's ended
also.

I used to eat like a pig whenever I went there also... Did you have
the tofu stir fry with tahini sauce?  My wife spends an incredible
amount of time trying to recreate that dish.  My other favorites were
the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, The vegan lemon
meruiange(sp?) pie, their chili, and countless other dishes.  I'm
getting hungary just thinking about it. :)

Do you hike?  I'm trying to figure how to hike the AT in the next couple years,
but scheduling that much time off once you've started a family is a real
problem.

I try to as often as I can...  I have circut-hiked a lot of the AT
around here over the past two years.  I might do part of the Allegany
National Forest in PA early this august.

Well I just picked that as one example.  I buy processed sugar (Jack Frost)
that doesn't use bone charcoal as well as sugar in the raw.  And sugar cane,
too.  But I was really just pointing that out as one of the many nitpicky
examples that some people dwell on.

I think i used to use Jack Frost. Actually, I feel healthier using
mildly
processed sugar rather than white- but i have only circumstantial
evidence
to support this.  I'm not as nitpicky as I used to be,  i even eat honey
nowadays.

-chris

1- not in the strictest sense of the term, but the same idea
2- other victims of the rent increase were the record store run by
  Skip Geoff(?) made infamous in the Minor Threat(3) cover of
  "Steppin' Stone" as in the phrase 'Skip- we love you...'
3- early eighties punk band.  some members are now in the more
   famous band, Fugazi.  Actually, Food for Thought was a big
   show space in the eighties and was highly influential in the
   formation of the DC Music Scene, it's sad to see it gone.