 Off-Topic / Fun / 527
Re: Piece sorting methods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:21:26 GMT

Also sprach Jasper Janssen:
: <devil's advocate> They didn't steal windows. They stole the "look 'n'
: Feel" of windows. (sound familiar? :) ) Anyway, The company they stole
: it from also stole it from someone else, so why they even _bothered_to
: sue is beyong me.... (1)</devil's>

Apple didn't steal it from Xerox-PARC, they asked if they could develop
it ... and Xerox-PARC, being a research facility, said yes, in perhaps
the greatest blunder since IBM had decided that the home-PC market was
just a passing fad and lacking business application ...

Anyway, as much as I hate Microsoft, I have to admit that Apple was full
of it on the Look-n-Feel lawsuit.  If they honestly expected the rest of
the industry to stick with command-line UI's after they rolled out the
Mac, they were more insane than their marketing record suggests:)  It's
worth noting that the original MacOS worked, and that Windows 1.0 did
not, at least not in any useful sense.  Any claim that the two operating
systems could be confused was purest fantasy.

And the hell of it is, if Apple had focused on continuing to stay out in
front of Microsoft instead of pinning all of their hopes on a
never-never lawsuit, the industry would be better off today.

/ _ _ / _ _                             The early buyer gets the bugs.
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============