 Off-Topic / Fun / 4608
Re: Good Omens (was something less interesting)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:21:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Craig Hamilton writes:
Not Gaiman by himself, but try _Good Omens_ by Gaiman with co-author Terry
Pratchett.  Pratchett should have written for Monty Python, but Python broke
up before Pratchett's career began.  I'm not familiar with Gaiman's solo
works, so I don't know if any of the zaniness in this book can be attributed
to Gaiman.

_Good Omens_ is a book about the Apocalypse, you see, but it's really really
funny.  The end of the world is coming, but this book will have you waiting
for it on the edge of your chair.  "All RIGHT!  Bring it on!"

(In case it isn't clear, my recommendation assumes that you have the ability
to laugh at matters religious.)

i love this book too!!  the hellhound, the four riders of the apocalypse,
the unknown fifth rider ~"grievous bodily harm", the "nice and accurate"
prophecies... i smile warmly and laugh just thinking of it.

The phrase that hooked me, and dragged me in was the description of Crowley -
'a demon who did not fall so much as saunter slowly downwards.' (paraprhased,
because my copy is on loan(1) right now)
Another of my favorites, which will often get me strange looks when I bring it
up, is the brief dissertation on how many angels can dance on the head of a
pin. :)

i also mentioned this one in my other post. neil's not normally so zany,
but it is there (in a more diffused way) in his solo work. i'm sure it's
pratchett's style that makes "good omens" such a sharp comedy with gaiman
providing the darker elements. they play off each other very well to create
the ultimate dark comedy.

Yeah, it's great.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1:a perpetual state, for this book.  It's one of those books that, when I run
across someone who hasn't read it, must immediately be given to them, and
recommended highly.  I think I've bought about 3 copies, because they just keep
getting loaned.

  hey, we better disagree on something soon or we may get kicked out of
.debate. ;-) wonder who is cast as crowley in the elsewhere mentioned
gilliam film? very splendid news that is! i'd think jeff goldblum maybe?
johnny depp would be great, but he's in the similarlly genred polanski
flick,"the nith gate" currently, so i doubt it.

  i keep loaner copies of certain books as well! particularly alan moore's
"WATCHMEN" and "V for Vendetta" books and scott mc-cloud's "understanding
comics".  i have sandman in all the original issues, so those certainly
don't get loaned.

  those are some of my fave quotes from "good omens" as well! i also love
the description of death's face as "grinning, but then again he couldn't
help it".  ~ paraphrased from memory. i have my copy here, but can't find
the page i want. :-S

  war is my favorite of the riders, but they are all so briliantly painted.
especially the logic of mister white, aka famine, being a fast food
restaurant tycoon. people eating and eating all that food with no
nutritional value and starving in obesity. true, funny and sad all at once.

  i think the thing about this book is that it points out that the
apokalypse is going on all around us already, and we as the human race need
to pick up the clue phone!

  later ~ craig~