 Off-Topic / Fun / 4000
Re: CLSOTW - Thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:45:32 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:50:42 GMT, Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu>
wrote:

Computers do not equal calendars.  That's why the millennium starts *next* year, and
the computer problem was *this* year--ten in machine language would read nine when
converted from the binary, but before computers that wasn't the case.  The old
system has been around longer, and this argument came up *last* fin-de-siécle with a
decisive victory in favour of 1901 instead of 1900.

_And_ the one before that, and presumably before that as well, except
that the newspaper/magazine hadn't been invented yet so we have no
documentation.

Jasper