 Off-Topic / Fun / 3983
Re: CLSOTW - Thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 22:03:11 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Dave Schuler (<Fnrwno.43A@lugnet.com>) wrote at
18:57:24

In lugnet.pirates, Christopher Lannan writes:
Nitpick- there IS NO year zero. There are 10 years in a decade, so the last
year of the first decade was 10, the first year of the next decade was 11.
Taking this to today- there are 1000 years in a millenium, so the last year of
the first millenium was 1000, and the last year of this one is 2000. The first
year of the new millenium (and the 21st century) is 2001. Simple as counting
to ten. Millions of people saying that it's the new millenium doesn't make it
so.

I think everyone here knows this, in much the same way that April 30 does
not equal May 1.  However, there's no point in complaining about it, because
even if it's not "so," no one really seems to care.  Besides which, it's not
going to matter, really for at least another 100 years, and I'll be happy to
resume this debate with anyone at that time.

    Dave!

follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.fun

Well, I've bitten my tongue so far, but here goes:

The current system for numbering years was only invented some time in
the fifth or sixth century, IIRC. Therefore, there never was a year zero
*or* a year one.

You can start the new millennium whenever you want, and most people want
to start it now.

And if you have to work with IBM mainframes, as I have in the past, you
know that zero is significant anyway, so the last year of a decade *is*
nine :-)

But I'm sure a large number of entertainment and sales organisations
will realise during this year that 2001 is the *real* start of the next
millennium, just so that they can sell *even more* junk to gullible,
mathematically challenged punters.

--
Tony Priestman