 Off-Topic / Fun / 3969
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:35:55 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
That sound you hear is me weeping for the future.  From where does *that* kind of
nonsense come?
get essays from college students where they refuse to spell out "God" and will
write "G-d".

It's a very ancient belief that one is not to utter (and by extension,
express in writing) the name of God. Or YHWH, or whatever. It's fairly
doubtful that "God" is the _actual name_ of any deity, but, y'know, better
safe than damned in hell for all eternity.

(-> lugnet.off-topic.fun)