 Off-Topic / Fun / 388
Re: A new diesel by Ben
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 15:12:20 GMT

My last proper train ride was from Budapest to Prague, and there
wasn't much to see from that train, either!

I don't know about the east side of the Czech Republic, but the Dresden to
Prague leg was pretty.  Of course, a lot depends on what you like to look
at.

The Budapest/Prague run seemed to mainly go through old strip-mines,
industrial wastelands, and uninteresting stretches of farmland.

What was fascinating was the Budapest train station. We didn't have the
money for a hotel, and chose to spend the night at the station! We had
an early train, about 7'o'clock or so. *That* was one the best ways to
observe the culture of a country. At least then, (1990), the trains
were still the easiest way for most people to get around, and to
transport goods. You would see the old women arriving with massive
sacks of vegetables for sale in the market, the workers arriving,
much, much more. Trains arriving from Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania,
The Soviet Union, etc. It was like a time warp. I could go on and
on for much longer, <sighs of relief from readership>but won't! </sighs>

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/