 Off-Topic / Fun / 3261
3260  |  3262
Subject:
Hobbies (was: Re: NELUG at Mindfest - Signs and Information that would be nice when presenting in public.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:07:06 GMT

In lugnet.org, "Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.nospam.org> writes:

In lugnet.org, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
"excelent how to I join" to "I think you all need to get a life").

Heh, and I wonder what their hobbies are?

I agree with you 100%.  Hey there are lots of hobbies out there that I don't
like.  For example I'm not into...

1. Pokemon
2. Silk Plant collecting
3. Bean Bag collecting
4. Collecting "Snow Babies" or other figurines
5. Square Dancing
6. Basket Weaving

That's a great list.  It's interesting also to come at it from different
angles.  Square dancing presumably serves the noble purpose of socializing
and exercising, while basket weaving can produce useful results (as long as
the baskets are actually used and not hung on a wall for display).  Basket
weaving is kind of more of a craft than a hobby, although it can certainly
be both.  It's really hard for me to avoid judging other hobbies, but I have
this mental image of bean-bag and figuring collectors sitting around
selfishly not doing much and being bummed out most of the time, but square
dancing clubs having a blast, and basket weavers being truly good-natured
people wanting to share.  Weird preconceptions, huh?  :)

I have also learned that a hobby is whatever makes you happy in your free time
and I don't critisize.  I have also come to understand that many people will
think you crazy, strange, odd, weird, etc. for being into a hobby they don't
understand or appretiate.

Yeah!!!

Thats all OK with me and I don't try and convert
people to LEGO or convince them that it is one of the best hobbies in the world
because to some it isn't.  I just wish some people would let it go when they
think your hobby is silly.  Its one thing to think a hobby silly its another to
constantly remind someone that you think their hobby is silly.

Hear hear!  I went through that for years in a "former life."  Say, do you
remember that 1985 movie _The_Breakfast_Club_?  (Quotes courtesy of
www.imdb.com...)

   Claire:  You know why guys like you knock everything?

   Bender:  Oh, this should be stunning.

   Claire:  It's because you're afraid.

   Bender:  Oh God, you richies are so smart, that's exactly why I'm not
            heavy into activities.

   Claire:  You're a big coward.

   Brian:   I'm in the math club.

   Claire:  See, you're afraid that they won't take you, you don't belong,
            so you have to just dump all over it.

   Bender:  Well, it wouldn't have anything to do with you activities people
            being a*, now would it?

   Claire:  Well, you wouldn't know, you don't even know any of us.

   Bender:  Well, I don't know any lepers, but I'm not going to run out and
            join one of their f* clubs.

   Andrew:  Hey! Let's watch the mouth, huh?

   Brian:   I'm in the physics club too.

   Bender:  Excuse me a sec.  What are you babbling about?

   Brian:   Well, what I had said was I'm in the math club, the latin and
            the physics club...physics club.

   Bender:  Hey, Cherry!  Do you belong to the physics club?

   Claire:  That's an academic club.

   Bender:  So?

   Claire:  So academic clubs aren't the same as other kinds of clubs.

   Bender:  Ah...but to dorks like him, they are.  What do you guys do in
            your club?

   Brian:   In physics we...uh...we talk about physics, properties of
            physics.

   Bender:  So it's sorta social, demented and sad, but social. Right?

   * = (bleep)

That was always one of my favorites parts of the movie.  My ex also used to
refer to the "demented and sad, but social" quote (in good-spirited jest)
whenever the new product line came out each year and I'd spend hours and
hours talking about it online with other people on RTL.  :)

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.fun]