 Off-Topic / Fun / 3168
3167  |  3169
Subject:
Hurricane Irene sent us a 43-foot yacht!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 04:26:28 GMT

I was very surprised when I woke up yesterday morning to strong winds and
heavy rain. Hurricane Irene was here. Why was I surprised? Because every new
station from ABC to WAMI (Miami's superstation, like KTLA, WGN Chicago, WTBS
Atlanta) said it was not going to hit. And guess what? It was a direct hit. We
were never even under warning (compare that to Emily, where everyone was in
panic and it never even rained!). Anyway, everything seemed to run normally
during the strom. All schools closed, though. The Miami Auto Show (one of the
country's largest) remained opened, a Bette Midler concert went on, and I even
got a FedEx package! I never lost DirecTv, electricty, or telephone, only
cable. In fact, I was all about ready to get in my car and head to the auto
show (a big fan of cars, I thought it would be very cool to go to an empty
show), until my son screams, "Daddy! There's a cabin cruiser in our backyard!"
Our neighbour's, who aparently need to learn a thing or two on how to properly
tie down a boat, 43-foot luxury yacht left their dock and arrived on our
backyard, and we got the complete package, all inclusive with a dock! It
knocked down some lamps, but no major damage, luckily. Scary expierience
though, because the wind was actually pushing it towards our living room,
though it never made it and slid back into the bay, though on its way back, it
grabbed a hold of one of our lamps, which held it in place as the bow started
to fill with water and sink. And what a beautiful boat it is, still sitting
behind our house, half sunk.