 Off-Topic / Fun / 10555
Re: Battlestar Galactica
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:02:44 GMT

In general I really liked the show.  That suprised me because I had read all the
negative press on the internet about the show as it was in development.  I have
to agree that the space battle scenes were well done and I like the attention
paid to "real-physics" with the inclusion of the maneuvering jets & such.  All
the new ships were very cool... so who's going to be the first to build a viper
MkII or MkVII??  I also liked the appearance of some of the old rag-tag fleet,
especially the gemini freighter.

I do wish that the show would have maintained better continuity with the
original series.  I did catch that "Boomer" mentions that her parents were
killed aboard another ship named Galactica when it was destroyed.  That and the
fact that the "older" vipers were called MkII's does leave open the possibility
for development of a back story that does try to link the two shows.  It would
be super cool if the new Galactica somehow encounters the old Galactica in deep
space.  Either in a time travel type episode or discovering it as a drifting
hulk.  I also noticed that the new PS2/Xbox game that was advertised heavily on
the show is set before the miniseries and includes the original battlestar
design, so it might do its part to develop that backstory.

I'm not sure I like the "organic" cylons.  However, if they are nearly
indistingushable from humans it might make for an interesting story line where
Boomer (who appears to be a sleeper-cylon) gets pregnant with her crew-chief/
boyfriend and has a human/cylon hybrid baby.

I noticed that the show really seems to be focusing on alot of our post 9/11
fears.  Fear of infiltration & sleeper cells.  Vulnerablility of networked
systems to being hacked.. remember the fears that Al Quaida could shut down the
power grid via internet, etc.  The organic cylons (and cylons in general) seem
to be playing to our fears of cloning.

The original series was more about the origins of man and how ancient mythology
& religions played into that.  That seems a little lost in the new show.  The
old show also was playing into the great struggle between good & evil with the
ships of light and Count Iblis and how they related to man and the cylons.

There were some things that really annoyed me though.  First, if the cylons are
your mortal enemy, you would thing that colonial intelligence would have
maintained better information about them after the armistice was signed.  It was
like the colonials just stuck their head in the sand or something.  Maybe this
was an intentional jab at the intelligence failures that lead to 9/11???
Second, Nukes & bullets?  Unless this is just slang, you would have thought
there would be more futuristic weapons... especially in a universe where FTL
drives exist.  Third, I think that the sex was a little overdone.  I do
recognize the importance to the plot that Baltar's relationship to the
cylon-blondie is, but its like the show is trying to convey that men are
incapable of making the morally correct decision when there is sex involved.
Also, none of the male characters seem to be portrayed in a very postive light.
Starbuck is the most like-able character on the show so far.

Anyways, I do hope the series does get a green light.  It would be interesting
to see how the show develops.

drc