 Off-Topic / Fun / 10336
Re: Cost overruns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:25:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:
Newsgroup note:  This posting is probably more suited to off-topic.geek.
However, I'm always nervous about highjacking a thread to another newsgroup,
in case people wanted to keep it in a certain vein.  I hope all the smilies
I've included are enough to indicate that I'm trying to keep this posting
light and non-combative.  I most certainly will not cross-post this to
.debate, since I don't ever post there.  If I'm wrong on any count, please
don't start calling me 'allAn'.  Thanks.  :)

Haha!  I think you did a fine job of keeping this light and non-combative.

On topic (or is it off-topic, I get confused in this area of Lugnet, or
LUGNet, or wherever we are)... I must admit that one of the reasons I chose
to point out the capitalization-rule-post was as much for the word Lego as
it was a joking-jibe regarding how "JOHN" signed his post.  Fact is that for
several years I used to always sign my own emails as "HENDO" or "HENDO-MAN"
because I also enjoyed the all caps way of making myself seem important.

As much as I can understand and respect your view on that article being
"old-school", I have come to grasp the logic and reasoning behind arbitrary
caps in that acronyms are all caps and proper nouns are capped only at the
beginning.  Old-school or not, I have grown to prefer that method, and thus
switched to simply "Hendo".  I also write it as "Lego®".

Now, to show that my grammar is based in logic and not simply tradition, I
point out that throughout this message I have ignored a different
grammatical rule that I feel is outdated and without reason.  When a quoted
item is the last item in a phrase, the rule is to put the end punctuation
(period, or sometimes comma) within the quotation marks.  Personally, unless
the quote material includes such a mark, I fail to see the logic in doing
this, and thus my periods and commas are often outside of the quotes.  I
guess this makes me a grammatical hypocrite.  :D

-Hendo