 Off-Topic / Fun / 10047
  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) How official is this? I know some people pronounce historic with a soft or almost non-existent h making "an" the appropriate article. However, I pronounce history with a hard h, making the appropriate article "a" (or at least it sounds awkward (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) Ahem-- that's "an hard h." Dave! (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) However, happenstance hopes he would see how hard it would be, that historic with an hard h is hardly 'old hat'. I mean, get a cockney accent on going and it's " 'istoric"--no h to be found at all. Dave K (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) I'd say that's 'cause (there's bad grammar right there for ya!) for you and me and average Joe, LASER is just a word now, is no longer an acronym, so we just say 'laser', much like SNAFU is not spelled out--it's 'a snafu'. However, we do say (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)