 Off-Topic / Fun / 10050
Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:09:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:
This could be a historic weekend for number of LTC showing at one time!

*an* historic...

How official is this? I know some people pronounce historic with a soft
or almost non-existent h making "an" the appropriate article. However, I
pronounce history with a hard h, making the appropriate article "a" (or
at least it sounds awkward to me to say "an historic" as opposed to "a
historic" or "an istoric").

Hmm, just checked what MS Word's grammar checker said. It allows either
"a" or "an" for historic but requires "an" before "hour".

I'm always fighting MS Word though on the appropriate article before an
abbreviation. For example, I would say "The program was an SMTP
compliant e-mailer." because I pronounce out the letters of the
abbreviation ("es em tee pee"). On the other hand, I would say "The
weapon is a LASER." since I pronounce LASER as a word, not as "el a es e
ar".

Frank

I'd say that's 'cause (there's bad grammar right there for ya!) for you and
me and average Joe, LASER is just a word now, is no longer an acronym, so we
just say 'laser', much like SNAFU is not spelled out--it's 'a snafu'.
However, we do say S-M-T-P for it doesn't seem to form a pronouncable word
on its own and has to be spelled out, so you get the 'es-em-tee-pee',
therefore you get the "an SMTP..."

So there you are.

Dave K