 Off-Topic / Debate / 9831
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
Anyway, I'm not a rabid evolutionist;

Rabid evolutionist, eh? Is that the same as an ignorant creationist?

Perhaps.  If either is proven false in some measure, and they likewise refuse to
modify their positions, then, yes, they are bed-fellows.

perhaps a hundred years from now much of
our contemporary scientific knowledge will have been proved to be mostly hogwash
and ill-informed speculation.

That's an interesting way of summing up centuries of painstaking research,
experiments, observation and learning that has helped mankind gain a greater
and more accurate understanding of the cosmos. Same kind of attitude that
presumed the earth was flat and stars were pinholes in the curtain of night.

Perhaps I did not clearly express my attitude in these comments: I mean that we
as humans should have due humility in deference to the fact that we shall always
be of limited ability and omniscience.

This universe is larger than we can fathom, and
our knowledge is but a meager sliver.

Well said, I agree!

Our commitment is to The Lord, and we
need not fear the particulars of His creation.  Dust and ashes.  "Nothing can
separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I respect your faith. However, always bear in mind, out of respect to the
billions that inhabit this earth, that Christianity is merely one of
thousands of religions on this planet. To presume that it is the one true
religion is arrogant and potentially destructive.

My above-comments were directed to Ryan; in so doing, I drew upon and appealed
to a common ground of shared faith and belief; a common-ground of shared
understanding.  I have nowhere in this discussion voiced any presumptions as to
Christianity's place within human culture.  Do i believe in gradations of truth?
Aye.  But that is another matter.

Respectfully as well,

james