 Off-Topic / Debate / 9788
Re: Alien races
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:26:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:
Ryan Farrington wrote:

If that were the case, God also told man to fill the earth and rule it.
That would mean that we have dominion over all the planets and places where
aliens might reside. :)

Ha! Try telling that to the little green guys!

I like Stephen Hawking's take on alien life: He essentially says that if there
are other intelligent beings out there, then we should keep our heads down and
hope they don't notice us, for exactly the reason stated in the paragraph
above, except it would be the aliens stating it and they have better death ray
guns than us.

Jennifer Clark

Indeed.  I wish that I could remember the date, but I have a Scientific American
that deals with the topic of alien contact, and how it may be to our peril if
and when it happens.  If the predator/prey relationship is universal, then we
may be a tasty treat for a higher civilization.  Seriously, I believe that we
may need to re-think our attempts to make alien contact; are we prepared for the
possible consequences if we do meet up?  On the other hand, I partly subscribe
to the idea that the interstellar distances may be so insurmountable that
pockets of intelligence scattered throughout the universe are effectively
quarantined from each other.

Side note: I love that scene in So Long and Thanks for all the Fish where Ford
Prefect is an a bar on some alien world, and he causes a ruckus, and the book
says something like "All eyes were on Ford; some were on stalks."

james