 Off-Topic / Debate / 965
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:17:11 GMT

James Brown wrote:

Actually, until it started to go corrupt, it was arguably a more tolerant and
"civilized" country than most in the western world.

Except for the slavery bit. Slavery is evil. But when we're comparing
"kinds", early Roman slavery was a bit better than some. Still evil, but
it did have the following positive merits:

- slaves were captured as a side effect of war, not via deliberate
slaving expeditions.
- many masters manumitted quite frequently for good service... took 20
years, but...
- many masters did not let slavery cross generations. if you were born
to a slave, you were free.

Note well that I feel slavery is reprehensible. lesser evil is still
evil. But I did want to acknowledge the gradation.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.