 Off-Topic / Debate / 1052
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:19:38 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 13:17:11 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Except for the slavery bit. Slavery is evil. But when we're comparing
"kinds", early Roman slavery was a bit better than some. Still evil, but
it did have the following positive merits:

- slaves were captured as a side effect of war, not via deliberate
slaving expeditions.
- many masters manumitted quite frequently for good service... took 20
years, but...
- many masters did not let slavery cross generations. if you were born
to a slave, you were free.

Not to mention that most of the masters treated their slaves well.

During the Saturnalia, for 10 days each year, the roles of master and
slave were reversed - quid pro quo _will_ be offered at such a time,
of course.

Arguably, you could say that wage slave labor isn't much better than
straightout slavery - take for example early indusdtrial society in
England and France. The workers were _required_ to buy in the
companies' (inferior) stores. They, quite literally, often did not get
any net pay after substracting the maggot-infested housing and the
moldy bread and water. I don't know whether I'd prefer being a Roman
slave or such an unfortunate creature. IIRC, the Roman slaves had
working days, days off, nights off...

Jasper