 Off-Topic / Debate / 9374
Re: Interview with LEGO at Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:47:24 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:

We all (and that includes LEGO) know that those pieces are there to represent
guns.  I don't think that making little Star Wars guns is going to make any
real difference in how the sets are perceived by *anyone*- except maybe that
people will think they are slightly cooler.

Quite to the contrary. I would hope that they have gone back to their core
values. If pre-molded guns were to be included in the sets, I would have to
boycott that theme, as I have done with every theme incorporating pre-molded
guns to date. It would hurt. Sort of like tearing off one of my own limbs,
but it would be necessary in my mind.

A distiction that I make (sort of a line in the sand if you will) is that
pre-molded guns take no imagination to create, where the megaphone guns are
a conglomeration of pieces taking imagination to build and use. It may seem
like a small distinction, but at least I know that the child playing with
the set would have to use their imagination just a little more rather than
revert to standard marketed violence.

The company line up there would be easier to swallow if they didn't give the
'figs megaphones at all.

The real issue/problem is Lego's inconsistency in their position.  Really, it's
inconsistency to the point of absurdity.  I don't have a problem with weapons in
Lego, and I wouldn't have a problem if weapons were absent.  It's just hard for
me to respect Lego's moral-high ground language when the hypocrisy is thick as
syrup.

james