 Off-Topic / Debate / 9290
  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) So therefore chromosomal change never happens? Is that the point? (...) Maybe. Seals seem to do okay though. (...) Could be an okay fin and a really ordinary leg first. Ever heard of lungfish? (...) If there wasn't anything else on land to eat (...) (23 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) No, I think Downs Syndrome is a case of such chromosomal changes. I just want to know why critters that look so much alike outwardly are so genetically different and how they got to be that way. I wish I had the charts that I found in my (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) Generally a full autopsy requires the examination of such soft bits as are seldom preserved for 65+ million years. With this in mind, it's difficult to assess the viral pathology of an organism of which you have only fossilized bones (...) (23 years ago, 9-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) Many organisms, particularly plants, cope very well with multiple copies of the same (or similar) chromosomes. For example, modern agricultural wheat has three "sub-genomes" which are more or less identical. Spelt (I think), a more ancient (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) I don't know if it would spread through the population. Before I go on, I really want to keep this on friendly terms. I'm not a fighter and I am a creationist. And as a Christian I don't feel any argument is worth the cost of mutual respect (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Support for a 'young' earth.

(...) Ditto :o). I hope to make teaching evolutionary biology an important part of my career, and I don't think that I can be a good teacher if I resort to name calling etc. I'm not interested in harassing people just because they have a world-view (...) (23 years ago, 10-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)