 Off-Topic / Debate / 924
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:40:30 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Two things.

1)  You can *never* be 100% sure that anyone committed any crime with
circumstantial evidence.

Agreed. But it takes "beyond a reasonable doubt" not "certain", We had
very reasonable doubts based on what we were presented.

But I'm pretty sure this particular perp was guilty, or that the DA was
lying to us about the circumstances. There was a knife with his prints
on it, and the blood of the victim (DNA match) and testimony of the
victim and an eye witness to his using the knife that could not be
admitted (to one of the prior cases) because of police incompetence.
They tainted the evidence and broke the custody chain. This was pre OJ
but very much a similar situation, with less media attention.

2)  Were you a juror for the O.J. travesty, uh sorry, trial?

No.

But since you asked... OJ got the right verdict, both times. IM(1)HO.

The police bungled his case, and he was correctly acquitted. Better that
a hundred guilty walk free than that 1 innocent be unjustly punished.

The civil case correctly nailed him. Criminal acquittal is no defence in
a civil trial, which only requires a preponderance of evidence, not
freedom from reasonable doubt. There's no doubt in my mind that there
was a preponderance of evidence there although there was a reasonable
doubt.

1 - (not at all)

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.