 Off-Topic / Debate / 922
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:36:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Denscombe writes:
James Brown wrote: •   <snipped most of the back and forth about 'what is walking'>
In general, movement (in an evolutionary sense) is to go somewhere - to
acheive an objective (go to shelter, get food, get away from the predator,
etc).  The treadmill from the other post is an excellent example: movement
without going anywhere.
But you are still moving relative to the tread otherwise you would shoot
of it.

But you are not going anywhere.  Therefore you are not fulfilling the purpose
of walking.

It does not acheive the >original< purpose of walking, just as sex
for pleasure (heterosexual or homosexual) does not acheive the >original<
purpose of walking.
Well heterosexual is natural homosexual is not - otherwise people
through all the ages would have been, the only reason why people are

People throughout the ages have been.  Check your ancient history.

homosexual these days is that it gets into their head and messes with
their mind.

"it" gets into their head.  Care to clarify that?

I think you're taking a huge leap here, and it doesn't follow, not that I
can see.  How does societal acceptance of an activity that occurs between
two consenting adults, in privacy, lead to societal acceptance of various
destructive activities that are all either blatant abuses of power or
violation of basic freedoms? (or both)
What about euthansia - that can be two consenting adults but it's still
killing.

How is euthanasia even remotely relevant?  Stick to the topic, please.

The main question I have for you, is this: On what basis do you refer to
homosexuality as an illness?
People going against their natural heterosexuality - penis goes into
vagina - simple.

That is not sufficient grounds for your argument.  Using the same premise,
people who cook are ill, because they go against their natural diet.

As I have mentioned before, provide some medical proof, please.

Ok.  It was perhaps phrased poorly.  As to what formed my beliefs about
homosexuality, they are based on a combination of a number of factors,
primarily discussion (rarely heated), reading, logical cosideration, and
societal and religious influences/pressures.  My personal sexual preference
does not have a bearing on my beliefs about homosexuality, excepting that
it(my sexual preference) is a part of my basic psychological makeup.
Acknowledged.  Unfortunately since we come from different backgrounds
and cultures our logical thinking is different.  Was you brought up in a
Christian background?  I say this because a lot of USA-people mention
God a lot (maybe it's a stereotype but anyway).

Irrelevant.

What do you consider it to be then?
I consider it to be (and forgive the p.c. speak) a lifestyle choice.  It is
no more to be condemned or remarked upon than, say, the city someone chooses
to live in.
I don't think you can dumb it down to lifestyle - it's deadly serious -
the whole thing is making life too complicated - complications make
people think too much and get upset - why won't people just live their
lives and be normal?

Who determines normal?

BTW, this is a opinion expressed here not necessarily my own.
Ok, but, since you asked first, what is your opinion?

I think that my opinion is irrelevant to this discussion.

Well, unless you're playing devil's advocate, I think I've got a pretty good
idea, and, to be honest, I don't see much point in continuing.  You seem
unwilling to shift your position, state it clearly, or defend it.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/