 Off-Topic / Debate / 910
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:50:18 GMT

James Brown wrote:

I know my logic is a bit faulty (it's late, and I'm tired), but the fact
remains that you need a firearm for protection, and I need a baseball bat.  An
invasion of your home would likely involve a fatality, an invasion of mine
would likely not.

It doesn't bother me much when the fatality is the invader. What DOES
bother me in your (contrived (1)) scenario is all the little old ladies
clubbed to death with baseball bats because they can't swing a big stick
as well as a 6'2" 240 pound criminal.

You need a firearm for protection too, you just don't know it. Guns are
an equalizer. They let the oppressed, downtrodden, weaker masses compete
on an even footing with thugs, whether muscular amateurs or jackbooted
professionals.

1 - contrived because of this homily: "When guns are outlawed, only
outlaws will have guns". Trite but irrefutable until someone invents a
magic wand to erase the very knowledge of them from our collective mind.
Gun control reduces the number of guns among the honest. That's it.
Review Prohibition or the failed Drug War if you still don't grasp this
simple concept.

If you want people not to use a particular tool, change society so that
the tool doesn't add value, because you CANNOT legislate the tool out of
existance.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.