 Off-Topic / Debate / 9083
Re: Concerning Evolution vs. Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:07:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
IMHO:

Trying to convince anyone that Creation is the truth rather than
Evolution is futile given that:
(a) The Evolutionist does not believe in God in the first place OR
(b) The Evolutionist does not believe in a literal interpretation of the
Bible[1], in which case they do not believe in the same God as I do.

I totally agree (I'd put myself in the (b) category).

Why?  Because no matter what someone else may say Creationism is a
theory and is FOUNDED on the Biblical record of of the origin of life.

Which means that you can't use Creation "Science" without accepting a
literal interpretation of the Bible.

HOWEVER, the same is true of Evolutionism in that today it is
essentially based on the model put forth by Charles Darwin.  (For
dictionary definitions please see http://www.m-w.com and look up
"CREATIONISM" and then "EVOLUTION" (def. 4b))

This model is:
(1) Subject to change, criticism, improvement and total replacement if a
more useful model is devised.
(2) Not reliant on any particular belief in God

To address Dave's question "why not both", I encourage the reading of
the following four articles which briefly explain the 3 basic theories
that try to "include both" and coincide with my beliefs:
(A) THEISTIC EVOLUTION -
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c015.html
(B) PROGRESSIVE CREATIONISM -
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c009.html
(C-D) THE GAP THEORY -
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c003.html
     -
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-gaptheory-problems.html

So what is the debate then?

For me, it encompasses 1 major issue:

(1) The generalized acception and even teaching (in tax-funded public
school systems) of Evolutionism as "the only possible Theory" or worse,
emperical science.

The failures of high-school science teaching are a totally different (and
much more arcane debate). The theory should be taught as a theory, the
evidence should be taught as evidence. If a basic understanding of the
scientific process was actually taught, people would be much better equipped
to question not only Creation "Science" but much of the other misleading
propaganda that surrounds them.

Some will (and have here) tried to argue that the
Bible CONTRADICTS modern scientific discoveries, or that the creation
theory is "absurd" at best or even "impossible".  I however, beg to
differ.  Rather than my stating of any particular subjects that
Evolutionists commonly argue I urge you to present any specific topic
that you feel fits this criteria.

Creation theory is not absurd, or impossible. It is unprovable. That makes
it religion, not science.

--DaveL