 Off-Topic / Debate / 9040
Re: Chaotic Systems... (was: Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:00:25 GMT

If the UK lottery usage is anything to go by, I would avoid those numbers. I
am sure I am right in saying it is the most common combination selected.
If/when you win, you will have to share it with a lot of other players!

That said, the combination 1, 2, 3 has never appeared in the UK.

Actually, I honestly wonder whether they'd 'let' such a combination pass...
I'm willing to bet that if they got the combination 1,2,3,4,5,6, that lots
of people would insist that it was rigged, even if it didn't happen.... I
dunno what they'd do with it... if it were a live drawing, chances are
they'd be kinda nervous and accept it, but investigations would follow
nonetheless... if it were a 'behind closed doors' drawing, perhaps they'd
re-draw numbers... Dunno... Certainly I'd hope they'd let it go through...
But in all liklihood people would definitely find it a suspicious result.

DaveE

Almost all the draws in the UK are live. There  are “independent
adjudicators” present to confirm that there is no shenanigans underway –
what these people’s skills are I do not know.  I doubt that you could
discount a draw due to the selection of the improbable sequence under
discussion. Those who choose 1 through 6 (my mother is one) would be more
than a little aggrieved.

I know that 1-6 is just as likely to be selected as any other ‘random’
combination. However, I can’t help thinking that any selection is more
likely to a non-sequential combination. Further, if a sequential combination
were to be selected - it would be slightly less likely to be that one than
almost any other.

Scott A