 Off-Topic / Debate / 9033
Re: Bxoing as a 'Youth' Sport.?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:45:17 GMT

There is a good overview given here:
"Boxing: The health risks"
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/medical_notes/newsid_363000/36
3957.stm

Scott A

"Ed "Boxer" Jones" <edboxer@aol.com> wrote in message
news:G7pvrJ.DF@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Alex Farlie writes:
Does anyone have an opnion on this?

Personally I feel that openly violent sports (such as boxing) should not • be
encouraged in schools. The problem with Boxing being that it normally
invloves driect phyiscal agression against the two opponents.. This could
mean that the youths involved will learn new techniques and then use them
outside the ring..

However there are those that agure that boxing also teachs self • control...

Alex

I have been boxing for decades (hence my alias - Ed Boxer).  I train 3-4 • times
a week, I still fight white collar amateur exhibition fights.

While it is true that repeated blows to the head cause brain damage, • boxing is
one of the safest sports with less injuries than football or basketball.

The brain damage suffered by fighters usually happens late in their
professional career.  When their defensive skills are dwindling.

Basketball players hitting the court floor are in much greater danger of
suffering brain damage than boxers.

For "youth", and you have not defined the age frame for "youth", so I will
assume you mean amateur/golden gloves fighters or younger, the danger of • brain
damage is incredibly small.  Headgear worn in sparring and in amateur • fights
protects from severe head trauma.  In addition, larger size gloves with • more
padding are used.

Most Knockouts are not caused by a blow that short circuits the brain, • most
knockouts are caused by a blow that causes the fluids in the inner ear to
swirl, causing dizziness.  That is why you will see a fighter flop around • on
the canvas, not be able to get up before the count of 10, but in a few • minutes,
is perfectly fine.  Its like spinning around very quickly, you lose your
equilibrium.  Once the fluids stop swirling, you are fine.

"Youth" boxing is much safer than football, basketball and many other • amateur
sports.