 Off-Topic / Debate / 894
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:06:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
Duane Hess <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> wrote:
What I will not support though is the NRAs stance that automatic and semi-
automatic weapons are protected under this right. What use, other than "sport

Do you think you or I can go to a gun store and buy an automatic
weapon?  Do you know why or why not?

Do you understand what a semi-automatic weapon is?

Do you know what kind of handguns and rifles you would leave us with
if all "automatic and semi-automatic" weapons were made to vanish?

Yes, I am very aware of the impact that this would have. That is my point.

shooting" do these weapons have? None. They are bought and stored by
(generalization) paranoid individuals who feel that they need them to protect
their family and possesions. More often then not, the storage of these • weapons
is inadequate. To protect children from the fire arm stored in the house, the
ammunition should be stored seperately. The gun should also be equipped with • a
trigger lock. This protects the child from the gun, but renders the gun • useless
in the event of a "hostile attack from outside forces."

I don't have kids, may never have kids, so I'm not that worried about
it.  The few times when I've had the children of others in my home
I've always unloaded my weapons and hid them in the back of a random
sock drawer in my (off-limits) closed bedroom.  I usually keep the
magazines for my Glock on my person and the ammo for my .357 in a box
on a shelf that is almost out of my reach in a closet.

People may call me paranoid for owning a weapon in the first place,
but I think I'm sufficiently paranoid about keeping them out of the
hands of the kids that might visit me twice a year.

As you can see, there is a catch 22 here. Buy a gun to protect the family • from
intruders, but render the gun useless to protect the family from the gun.

I only have adults in my home.

Why not buy a Doberman?

Over the weight limit for pets in my complex.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide