 Off-Topic / Debate / 886
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 03:02:25 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
Duane Hess <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> wrote:
Why not buy a Doberman?

Over the weight limit for pets in my complex.

A comment to add to this:

A gun owner has total control over his weapon. A dog owner has incomplete .
Either means of protection is subject to serious abuse by irresponsible
owners.

Of course a responsible dog owner will have a very safe dog, but the
responsible gun owner still has more control over safety than the dog owner.
The very fact that the components of the weapon can be placed in different
locations, and in fact can be placed in very secure places. It is also
possible to own a gun which is almost impossible for a very young child to
fire. I have a book on gun ownership which the author reccomends that
someone with small children have a large caliber automatic because the child
will not have the strength to operate the weapon.

The big reason I see some value in gun licensing is that education could
become a part of the requirement to own a gun which would tremendously
increase the percentage of gun owners who are responsible.

Frank