 Off-Topic / Debate / 8843
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:48:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
No, evolution didn't happen.

As Sherlock Holmes states - or is attributed to have said,
"After you eliminate the impossible whatever you are left with, however
improbable, must be the answer."

Sherlock is a fictional character, not a scientist (and I suppose I
shouldn't mention Piltdown Man and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in the same
breath).  :-O

Way off topic here...
I suppose you thought that I believed the SH was real?  hardly - Piltdown
wasn't either... - But we all know that too.   But he was more of a pig than
SH :-)

I don't think that there is anything wrong with attributing a pithy and
apropos idea to a fictional character... in reality the attribution is to
the author. As long as people know that, no harm, no foul.

It may not be appropriate to do so for facts or statistics but seems
perfectly fine for "concepts".

You didn't make that perfectly clear, Jon, but to be fair, how many people
reading this group DON'T know that SH is fictional?

++Lar