 Off-Topic / Debate / 8747
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:02:58 GMT

Steve:  You seem to be set on directing your posts only toward a single
recipient rather than answering questions and rebuttals from the readership
at large.  If this is the case, I urge you to pursue your discussion via
email, or at the very least to answer some of the refutations of your claims
here on LUGNET.  Otherwise, you seem to be taking a head-in-the-sand
approach to debate, and nothing constructive can come of that.

Just to jump in for Steve on this one, I think the present course was
somewhat diverted from Steve's original intent. I think (correct me if I'm
wrong Steve) that Steve's intent has been to dispute the moral theory I
presented. In so doing, he made the fatal mistake of unearthing the buzzword
of 'evolution' and 'Darwinism'.

But wait there's more!! Not only did Steve unearth those buzzwords, he
attempted to base his arguments on his Creationist philosophy, a philosophy
that is 100% incompatible with evolutionary biology (sort of like Lego and
Knex, only more serious). Now he is free to do that, but if he does he
_must_ be prepared to defend his beliefs. I would rather he did this in a
public forum, where <flame on> his misguided concept of science in general,
natural history in particular and the relationship between God and the
physical universe can be exposed for the reactionary propaganda it
is.</flame off> (This stuff is pretty important to me.)

It honestly doesn't relate (I don't think) to my moral theory, and as such, I
don't think Steve's under any obligation to continue down that already
trodden path if he doesn't want to-- sorry if you're feeling left out
though...

I'm fairly interested in your (DavidE and Steve's) argument over moral
theory: I totally disagree with Steve's theology, but his version of God is
his business, and it takes him some interesting places. Obviously he is
entitled to ultra-conservative beliefs which are totally out of step with
any modern understanding of the world, but he shouldn't expect them to pass
without comment. We all have our quirks: I happen to think that Castro has
done an amazing job in Cuba, all things considered, but since I don't
consider that to be a useful, widely accepted or even particularly
defensible hypothesis, I don't try to make it a debating point.

--DaveL