 Off-Topic / Debate / 8711
  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) Your dictionary is wrong, when viewed in the context of the US constitution. Words change meanings, but to understand the 2nd, you have to know what militia meant to the founding fathers, and what they meant when they said it. Intent is (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) I tend to view my dictionary in the context of the English language. If you do consider it in the context of your constitution - did not some states/real real militia back then? Was a militia then not more like my dictionary describes? (...) (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) You make good points, both for the importance of meaning and the difficulty of determining intent. As I understand it, the term "militia" as it applies to the 2nd has never come before the Supreme Court, so there is no "final" definition to be (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) No. (...) Asked and answered. The very text you cite goes on to shred that argument. But you didn't cite that part, did you? This subthread is about the difference between description and argument. Either *admit* your bumpersticker snipe was (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) Well what was a "militia" back then? Let's start here: =+= When the U.S. Constitution was adopted, each of the states had its own "militia" -- a military force comprised of ordinary citizens serving as part-time soldiers. The militia was (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) I am not sure if it is what you are after, but if you scroll down to "THE SECOND AMENDMENT IN THE COURTS" at (URL) find: "Since Miller, the Supreme Court has addressed the Second Amendment twice more, upholding New Jersey’s strict gun control (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) Is that like Lar += 2? :) --Todd (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)