 Off-Topic / Debate / 8713
Re: Description vs. argument
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:16:57 GMT

Words change meanings, but to understand the 2nd, you have to know what
militia meant to the founding fathers, and what they meant when they said
it. Intent is difficult to judge but I tend to go by the claimed intent
described in the Federalist Papers, not with what some random lying around
the house (or Random House) dictionary has in it.

  You make good points, both for the importance of meaning and the difficulty
of determining intent.  As I understand it, the term "militia" as it applies to
the 2nd has never come before the Supreme Court, so there is no "final"
definition to be applied.  On the plus side, that allows the average joe to own
weapons (not simply to overthrow the gov't, but--as someone pointed out in a
previous debate--as a demonstration of The Constitution's trust in the citizen
to possess such freedom).  On the down side, there's no ironclad,
Constitutional means to deny gun ownership yet still keep within the
resuirements of the 2nd.
  Random House--or even the OED, which I'm sure some reader of this message
will cite--has no special wisdom regarding the interpretation of Constitutional
matters, other than in providing basic foundation definitions.

     Dave!