 Off-Topic / Debate / 8629
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:51:23 GMT

That is, what is your point exactly?

My point is that, even when well trained (and I doubt you are), when a
person fires a gun the bullet can end up almost anywhere.

While some people were working the theme for humor value, who was actually
arguing that point in a serious way? No one. You need to draw some
meaningful conclusion from it or it has no relevance. That's not just an
opinion, that's the way rhetoric works. An argument is not just a pile of
unconnected factlets and assertions, it has to actually have a premise and a
conclusion.

Go ahead. Make my day... Draw. (your conclusion). We're all waiting.

I have a three year old nephew who has a habit of interrupting adult
conversations and asking "why?" When one adult patiently explains what the
point was and answers the question in terms he ought to be able to
understand, his usual response to the explanation is to ask "why" again. And
again. And again. Sometimes he tosses in a "what if". He loves to play that
game as long as the adults are willing. We know it's his way of wanting to
participate in the conversation so we humor him, and it has a certain charm,
the first 2 or 3 repetitions. But, most of us get tired of it after 4 or 5
or 12 rounds.

Once in a while the rhetorical device of repeatedly asking why (or "what
if?") elicits some profound new understanding. It seems like one of your
favorite rhetorical devices but I don't see it as eliciting anything new
this time, at least not yet it hasn't.

Make your real point, if you can. You're almost out of rounds in this
particular chamber.

++Lar