 Off-Topic / Debate / 8569
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:58:03 GMT

I go to the range enough that I don't often miss. But... the bullets I use
go through the body and then through the wall anyway, even if I don't miss.
I don't like to use something ineffectual.

  Out of curiosity, would you be equally satisfied with a hypothetical
non-lethal weapon that nonetheless instantly and fully incapacitated its
target? Something like an immediate tranquilizer (or a phaser-set-on-stun,
perhaps?)  I'm asking because I think some people might confuse necessary
stopping power with the simple desire to kill outright (admittedly, the two
may blur when someone is prowling about in your darkened living room, but I
think my point is distinct).

But others do miss. Accidents happen. Small price to pay. Would you give up
automobiles because accidents happen?

  On this you are utterly correct.  Someone--or even a thousand
someones--manage(s) to hang himself accidently; does that mean that all
ligatures, rope, wire, cord, chain, scarves, belts, shoelaces, hoses, vines,
and twine should be outlawed?

But then I fear for my life whenever I go on the road, which is all the
time, since I can't take my gun with me on an airplane. So I've learned to
deal with that. It's not a big fear.

//sarcasm OFF
  Have you actually experienced this fear?  That seems a frightful and
lonely way to go about one's day.  I wasn't aware that people faced this
sort of anxiety, even in traveling.  How does this fear arise?

Did you fear for your life when you were in the UK last year?

Yes. Your police are especially ineffectual and incompetent.

//sarcasm ON

  But they're statistically much less likely to drag a football player from
his car and kill him for a routine traffic stop.

    Dave!