 Off-Topic / Debate / 8557
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:43:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:

Nope, simply not true.  How many deaths by knife are there in comparison to
those by gun in the US each year?

How do those numbers compare in the UK?  What if you add in all non-firearm
(non vehicular) murders?

I'm willing to bet that the death rate by firearms in the UK is substantially
less than the death rate by firearms in the US , eh?

I'd bet so.

I don't have time to grubb about too much, but I did find this:

There were 98 murders in Scotland in 1999 (Scotland has the worst rate in
the UK). The population is ~6M (10% of UK) - so that gives a murder rate of
~1.63/100K. Gun murders _alone_ in the USA give a rate of 5.55/100K (1997
stats).

I'm also willing to bet that the difference in the knife deaths in the UK and
the USA do not make up for the above difference,if you use deaths per 100,000
rather than strictly by numbers.

Maybe Brittons (is that right?) are less likely to kill one another.  You can't
suggest a causal relationship based on such flimsy speculative evidence.

We don't kill one another, we mostly just smirk a lot.

It takes much less physical will to kill someone with a knife than with a gun.

I agree...at least if you mean the opposite.

I agree.

Scott A

Chris