 Off-Topic / Debate / 8549
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:02:43 GMT

James Powell wrote:

First, I really (really!) meant consumer firearms.  Military contract is a bit
different.

Now, the purpose (if you mean _my_ purpose) when I travel with a concealed
firearm is not to kill people.  It is to defend myself.  I have defended • myself
(my property actually) with a firearm, but I have never shot anyone.

Chris

If you aim a gun at me, (as my basic training would say), you'd better have a
dammed good reason for wanting to kill me-or have you never had formal firearms
training?

If you aim at someone, then the ONLY possible reason is that you intend to try
and kill them.

I think I disagree. At least I disagree that if one draws, one's ONLY
possible intent is to kill. Drawing a gun has an amazing affect on
people (I know, I've had a gun drawn on me, now that search is working
again, you can even go look it up). One need not even aim the gun at the
person to have an effect. Now I most certainly agree that you had better
not draw a gun if you are not committed to shooting to kill should the
mere act of drawing not defuse the situation.

FRank