 Off-Topic / Debate / 8491
Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:39:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Culberson writes:
Scott A wrote:

How many people are murdered with TV's?

WHOA!  Hold on one Second here.....I'm still debating the original issue
- that is that gun control will do absolutely nothing to stop crime ----
I fully agree that guns are often used as weapons because they are in
fact so effective...no doubt about that in my mind.  On the same note,
so are kitchen knives, letter openers, frying pans, chainsaws, and a
billion other things - but we sure as heck don't have to register them.

Well there are restriction on knife sales and use in the UK, but that is
another issue.

Why guns?

Guns are intended to kill. They offer a user a rather remote way to kill a
person in an instant. No struggle. No blood on the user. Just death.

Scott A

In my mind the problem is that people have been so ingrained
psychologically that guns are inherently bad in every sense, hence why
are we allowing people to keep them.  It's the same as almost everything
-- sure guns CAN be used for evil purposes, but they can also be used
for enjoyment and in some cases other things too like livelihood
(hunting).

I'v esaid it a few times and I'll say it again - the new gun control
laws will do NOTHING to stop crime -- show me gun control laws that will
and I'll think about changing my position.