 Off-Topic / Debate / 8419
8418  |  8420
Subject:
Healthcare should be based on need?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 04:34:15 GMT

In:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=8270

Scott said <very heavily snipped down to one sentence...>

I still
think that healthcare should be based on need

Well, I responded at the time that I didn't think I agreed. I didn't go into
a lot of detail on why, because this has been debated at length in the past.
At great great great length. In fact one of the first big debates here was
on the topic. I'm not necessarily trying to rehash that. It won't change
anyone's mind, which is OK. But it's been nagging at me that some newcomers
might think I hadn't thought about it or didn't have a reason behind my
statements.

Scott gave me a ref to David Friedman a while back, for which I continue to
thank him... Friedman is good. Better than his father, even. I continue to
root around on that site. It's good reading. A lot of times I find stuff
that explains what I already think far better than my own words can.

Here's a cite that might address from a utilitarian basis why the most fair
outcome is not one in which the allocation of healthcare goods is based on need:

http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Academic/Medicine_Commodity/Medicine_Commodity.html

I started a new thread because whenever a thread goes over 100, it's pretty
hard to work with.

If when you get done reading the cite (if you're so inclined, and I admit,
it's a long one, so you may not want to) you (anyone, not just Scott) want
to respond, feel free, but my intent wasn't necessarily to restart the same
argument that we've had 5 times before, merely to get a little closure on a
throwaway comment. Those that feel that it's the government's duty to
contravene economic reality in a quest for justice are just as unlikely to
change their minds based on logic or rationality or economic theory as they
ever were. And that's OK.

If I have time I may go and try to tie up a few other loose ends as well.
We'll see.

++Lar