 Off-Topic / Debate / 8367
Re: What Would It Take? (was:Re: Problems with Christianity)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 07:05:46 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
For myself, I would
require objective verifiable evidence.

Remember though, that that kind of evidence is by definition not possible, so
it's true that there would be no way to convince you.

Since I point that out in the next paragraph but one, you can be sure I was
aware of it. A danger of starting to respond before you read the whole
thing... :-) as Paul B pointed out.

In fact, "unconvincability" is kind of the whole point of why the debate is
pointless. (except for the side benefits (if any) that are derived from it,
as some Dave or another pointed out). It's the point I've rather pointedly
been trying to point out.

Alleged miracles, things that cannot
currently be explained other ways, testimony of others about their faith,
solipistic arguments and the like are insufficient. Extraordinary claims
require extraordinary evidence.

I think the thesis of a number of us on both sides is that such objective
verifiable evidence is not possible to provide because of the very nature of
your god. Hence it's a preference issue.

Why do you ask?

I was just thinking that, if I were God, how *would* I convince you that I
existed? (and how much LEGO I would have;-)

As I said, I'm an agnostic who leans in the atheist direction. Were a god to
appear in front of me personally and fire off a string of miracles (and I'm
pretty picky about the nature of them, "isn't the world neato" and "some guy
down the street told me that his car didn't run out of gas as fast as he
thought it would", don't count) I'd be an agnostic who leans in the theist
direction. Still not Convinced with a capital C, but leaning the other way.
Make the miracles hard to explain enough, and it'd be a strong lean.

Ever see the movie "Michael", in which John Travolta came to earth? Miracles
like those.

I don't think God collects Lego(tm).

But if he does, and we get a DCC that's actually designed right, proper
track geometry (with new switches, short straight segments and at least one
larger radii), all old and new elements split at the symmetry point, "design
a sets" that let me put in designs and get a slice of sales, and bulk parts
the way *I* want them, at Marchetti prices (that is, priced with no
connection to what things actually cost because they're not connected to
economic reality), all by the end of 2001, I'm ready to sign up for this
religion thing.

I think my soul is safe, though. :-) Personally, I prefer Lehmanism. Or
Larritarianism.

++Lar