 Off-Topic / Debate / 8361
Re: What Would It Take? (was:Re: Problems with Christianity)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 01:48:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

A question (which I think I posed to TomS whose answer I can't seem to
find in the slew) I would like any atheist or agnostic to discuss would be:
what would it take for you to believe that God exists?  The reason I ask is
because, after having heard all of the arguments presented here, I am left
with the impression that  there is *nothing* that could make one believe
in God.  Is that a fair assessment?

Fair question. I can speak for no one else but myself, an agnostic who's
pretty convinced but not 100% certain there is no god. For myself, I would
require objective verifiable evidence.

Remember though, that that kind of evidence is by definition not possible, so
it's true that there would be no way to convince you.

Alleged miracles, things that cannot
currently be explained other ways, testimony of others about their faith,
solipistic arguments and the like are insufficient. Extraordinary claims
require extraordinary evidence.

I think the thesis of a number of us on both sides is that such objective
verifiable evidence is not possible to provide because of the very nature of
your god. Hence it's a preference issue.

Why do you ask?

I was just thinking that, if I were God, how *would* I convince you that I
existed? (and how much LEGO I would have;-)

-John

++Lar