 Off-Topic / Debate / 8340
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:

It's not simply a matter of refusing The Bible; what Tom is (and others
are) asking is that The Bible not be taken as proof of God, since The Bible
is only valid as such proof if one accepts it as the Word of God, which is
circular.

_Somewhat_ circular, yes, but the Bible isn't the sole "proof of God".
The most obvious evidence of the Creator being His creation.

  It is *entirely* circular to say that The Bible is proof of God at all.
  Now we're just sound-byting each other, but asserting that "creation" at
large is proof of Christianity's God is circular again and hardly
conclusive.  I am willing to assume that the Universe exists, but the nature
of its "creation" is not sufficient proof of any single deity.  Why not
Uranus and Gaea?  Why not The Cosmic Egg?  How can the Universe be claimed
in itself to "prove" one God and not another (without resorting to The Bible)?

     Dave!